Sometimes you don’t have to go far to see some of nature’s wonders. Close to Brussels you have Hallerbos, the most important and most extensive forest area between Zenne and Sonian Forest. It used to be part of the even bigger Sonian Forest next to Brussels, but throughout history it had its tough times. The earliest source mentioning the Hallerbos dates from 686 when Saint Waltrudis bequeaths this forest domain to the Abbey of St. Waltrudis in ‘Bergen’. During the 1914-1918 World War, the Germans fell all the big trees, leaving the Hallerbos virtually ruined, but when the Forest came into hands of the Belgian State the forest was restored and reforested. But there is one thing that makes this forest really special : every year the forest turns blue. Millions of blue bells cover vast parts of the forest and make it a magical place.
This year the blue bells are a bit later than normal, but by the end of this week the wonder takes place. Now you can already enjoy the white period, with the anemones in full bloom. If you want to be updated about when the flowers are blooming you can always check the forest’s website (yes, indeed, a forest with it’s own website) : http://www.hallerbos.be/en/bloom-bluebells/ . So don’t wait too long and head to this beautiful place…maybe leave early so you are their before the crowds or go later in the evening. One more thing, the flower fields are very vulnerable, so please stay on the paths. Don’t let the forest become the victim of its own succes.
• Ring R0 (E19 Brussels-Mons) Exit 21 (Halle)
• at the exit, keep to the left
• turn left at the second traffic lights (N28-Nivelles)
• for car park Hogebermweg (P1 on the map): at the junction with Warande/Maasdal to the left, follow the sign post ‘P Hallerbos’, immediately after the bridge over the motorway turn right.
• for the forest museum and car park “Achtdreven” (P8 on the map): continue along the N28 until the “Vlasmarktdreef”. At the “Vlasmarktdreef”: turn left into the forest. Car park forest museum: 200m ahead on the left. Car park “Achtdreven”: carry straight on further into the forest , across the bridge over the motorway. The car park is 100m further on, on the right.
Check more on : http://www.hallerbos.be/en/